The Swedish Trauma Registry (SweTrau)
Registry category: Emergency healthcare
Certification level: 3
Central personal data controller (CPUA): Region Blekinge
Trauma is the most common cause of death during the first four decades of life in most developed countries. There are also three disabled for every death. Thus, trauma causes great suffering, considerable disability and consequently great costs.
In 2008, The Swedish Trauma Society, a sub-association of The Swedish Surgical Society, initiated the development of a Swedish Trauma Registry (SweTrau). The official startup for SweTrau was in June 2011, and the dataset developed for the registry is very much in line with the European consensus protocol, "The Utstein Template".
The aims of the registry are to:
- monitor trauma patients’ care to identify strengths and weaknesses concerning patient categories, catchment areas and individual hospitals
- focus on hospital care of serious trauma
- include a prehospital component and to have a posthospital perspective, including rehabilitation and final outcomes
- be nationwide
- report on measures of outcome and indicators of quality, which are important dimensions of patient safety
- form the basis for clinical research and in-depth studies
Find contact information on the registry’s website.